Disney World 2015Posted: May 29, 2015
A LITTLE LATE…
Our Disney World 2015 trip was absolutely amazing! The happiest place on earth was not a disappointment.
Our week started in the most fantastic way. Knowing we were going to be in Florida we took the opportunity to meet Joe’s aunt, uncle, cousin and his fiancé for dinner one evening. Joe hadn’t seen his aunt in 20+ years and although Facebook does a good job of allowing us to communicate there is nothing like seeing, hugging and chatting with family. It was so wonderful to spend time with this delightfully funny family and get to know each of them. Aunt Debbie & Uncle Glenn were so kind and excited to meet Caden. I told Caden we were going to have dinner with Yaya’s sister, Debbie, and Caden asked, “What’s a Debbie?” We absolutely loved our time with you all and can’t wait to see you again in Chicago! (That’s a hint, hint Debbie…xoxox)
We meticulously planned our trip and I am so glad that we did, because one thing I can say about Disney is that you have to plan, plan, plan. We booked rides we wanted to go on weeks in advance, booked dinners months in advance and all this planning allowed us to be very relaxed on the trip knowing that at one point we would experience all we wanted to experience. Also, the longest we waited in any line was about 25 minutes and in Disney speak that’s like 2.5 nano-seconds.
Caden will be four next month and we felt this was a wonderful age to bring him to Disney World. He absolutely LOVED the rides; however, the characters in costume…not so much. By the time we had dinner with the characters he was kinda, sorta okay with meeting the characters as long as (1) they didn’t touch him; (2) one of us held him and (3) they signed his autograph book.
We went to the Magic Kingdom 3 times, we went to Epcot one night, we went to Hollywood Studios and we even went to Animal Kingdom. Here are a few tips…
- Whenever anyone even mentions food you should eat. Eating often prevented us from having any meltdowns (mostly by me). When I am hungry, you feed me and Joe is a pro at gauging when I may be nearing a meal.
- We would skip Animal Kingdom next time. There was not much to do there; the walkways are way too narrow and other than their safari, not worth the time. We did the whole park in about 3 hours.
- Epcot is amazing, and Caden loved it; however, they do not have any rides for kids less than 40” in height. That didn’t seem to bother Caden. Eating and drinking at Epcot is a fantastic way to spend a late afternoon/ evening and the laser light show and fireworks at Epcot are worth the trip. We all enjoyed Epcot.
- Hollywood Studios is a lot of fun if your kid is not afraid of characters. If you are looking to meet princesses, pirates and superheroes you can get up close and personal with all your favorites at this park. Caden’s favorite part may have been going to Pizza Planet. Again, characters are not his thing, but he may like this park better in a few years.
- Book your Fast Passes at least a month in advance
- The Magic Bands the parks use are TOTALLY worth it.
- Plan on spending, spending, spending
- Book your meals/ dinner with the characters up to 3 months in advance
- Everything we read said to get to the parks when they first open and I would disagree. We decided to sleep however late we wanted and get there whenever we got there. One day we got here at 10:30 am and left at 11:00 pm. It was awesome. On some nights the park is open until 1 am so if you have a night owl, like I do, why stress yourself out with getting there so early.
- In order to avoid the crowds, watch the fireworks in the back of the Magic Kingdom Castle (thank me for that one later). You see the exact same show.
- Bring your own bottles of water.
- Do the “boring” stuff, the People Mover in Tomorrow Land may be “boring” and “old”, but do it. You get a cool view of the park, especially at night.
- Watch out for the spitting camel on the Aladdin Magic Carpet ride.
- Eat, often. I may have already mentioned that one.
Here are a few of our favorite pictures from our Disney Adventure.
A good time was had by all and we plan on going back again very soon! As an extra special bonus we celebrated Joe’s birthday while on vacation!